Fresh Peach Pie
Pastry for a double-crust pie
3/4 to 1 c sugar
2 T quick-cooking tapioca
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
5 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches or frozen peach slices
2 T butter
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Combine sugar, tapioca, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Add peaches and lemon juice. Toss to coat peaches with the sugar mixture.
- Roll out bottom crust and fit it into the pie plate. Add the peach mixture, mounded high, and dot with butter.
- Roll out the top crust and fit it carefully over the mounded peach filling. Flute the edges and cut slits in the top.
- Place pie on a cookie sheet (with edges if possible), place pie shield on top to cover the fluted edges (or carefully fold foil over the edges