Glazed Fresh Strawberry Tart
- Hull and rinse 2-3 baskets of fresh strawberries, pat dry.
- Mash up about 5 strawberries in a separate bowl.
- Mix 1/4 c sugar, 1-2 T cornstarch and a dash of salt in a saucepan. Add 1 T plain gelatin. Stir in 1/3 c orange or apple juice and 3 T water.
- Add mashed berries to saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils.
- Boil and stir 1 minute. Cool until just warm. Add several drops of red food coloring.
- Mix warm, not hot glaze with dry strawberries. Place carefully, tops facing up, in a baked and cooled pastry shell.
- Refrigerate a couple of hours before serving with a dollop of whipped cream.
Note: this also works well with blackberries, peeled and sliced fresh peaches and cantaloupe. (change food coloring as needed).