Soaked Almond and Banana Pancakes
I’ve been reading about the importance of soaking nuts. This is the first recipe I’ve invented with them. High-protein and low allergen (we made an egg-yolks only version for William). I served with Pineapple-Mango Sorbet instead of syrup. Called “Emily Pancakes” they’ve become more popular in our house than the regular kind.
- 1/3 cup almonds, soaked overnight
- 1 tbsp flaxseed (optional)
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 banana (the riper the better)
- coconut oil
Wash, drain and dry almonds thoroughly. Put the almonds in a food processor / blender and grind till powdery. Add flax seed and salt, grind again. Pour dry ingredients into another container and put eggs in blender. Blend till well beaten. Mash banana and mix all ingredients together.
Heat coconut oil in a pan and fry the small pancakes a couple of minutes on each side. Serve while hot.
- Makes 2 moderate servings
- If you have a taste for something sweeter, try blending some dates with your almonds–make sure they’re pitted first!
- Dry, unsweetened coconut flakes can be substituted for the almonds