Low Carb, Gluten-free Blueberry Muffins
These muffins come out great! If you are using artificial sweetener, do not use more than specified or you will get the artificial sugar taste.
Delicious! Not quite the texture of wheat muffins, but surprisingly good. You can also use this recipe without the sweetener and sweet spices (and extracts), add grated peccorino romano cheese and rosemary and use for a savory dinner roll.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 1/2 c almond meal and 1/2 c either whey protein powder or flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 c butter or coconut oil melted
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 c water or almond milk
- 2 T cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- the equivalent of 1/3 c of sweetener (4 packets of Truvia or Splenda, 3 T of powdered Truvia or Splenda etc)
- 1 c blueberries
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts or pecans
Mix all the dry ingredients, except nuts, together. Stir in the wet ingredients, except blueberries. Carefully fold in blueberries and nuts. Spoon into a muffin tin that has cupcake liners in it.
Bake about 25 minutes at 350 degrees or until slightly brown.
Makes 12 muffins.