Praline Eggnog Pie
From Pies and Pastries by Janet Pittman
There’s a crunchy nut layer in the bottom of the pie that makes it extra yummy!
1) prepare a single crust pie shell
2) preheat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit
3) mix 1/4 c butter, 1/3 c packed brown sugar until smooth. Stir in 1/2 c chopped pecans. Sprinkle evenly over bottom of pricked pie shell. Bake 8-10 min or until pie shell is browned and butter mixture is bubbly.
4) in large glass bowl, mix 3/4 c sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/4 tsp salt, 2 1/2 c whole milk and 4 egg yolks. Beat until smooth with a whisk. Cook in microwave uncovered on high for 4 min. Stir well. Cook on high for 4-6 minutes longer,stirring well after each minute until mixture is thickened. Cook 1 minute longer on high.
5) stir in 1 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tsp rum extract and 1/4 tsp nutmeg.
6) pour hot mixture into baked pie shell. Place plastic wrap on surface of pie to prevent a film from forming. Refrigerate 3 hours or longer. Prepare sugar and cream topping. Remove plastic wrap from pie. Spread, spoon or pipe topping over filling. Sprinkle with nutmeg and garnish with pecan halves. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Sugar and Cream Topping
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons brown sugar
Combine cream and sugar in a small bowl, beat until stiff peaks form. Makes about 2 cups.