Freezer Paleo Pad Thai
From the Maynards – Before Ezra was born we had a whirlwind of activity to get the apartment we were staying in ready for the birth and for hosting family. Kevin spent a couple days locked in the kitchen whipping together freezer meals. This recipe came out of that process as one of our favorites. It initial iteration had egg noodles… which were delicious… however we wanted a lower carb option and experimented with spaghetti squash as a replacement. Using dried noodles or julienne vegetable noodles for the dish can keep the carbs low and decrease the time, but we loved using spaghetti squash with this dish. The spaghetti squash adds about an hour with the prep and cook, but since it’s just baking in the oven it frees up your time to not be in the kitchen.
Ingredients below are for a single meal that feeds 4-6 people. Multiply it by however many versions you would like to freeze
Ingredients for freezer
- 4 Skinless Chicken Breast, cubed
- 1/2 cup Almond Butter
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 6 clove Garlic, minced
- 2 sprig Shallot, minced
- 1 cup Coconut Aminos
- 1/2 tsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Lime, 1/2 for juice, remaining half cut into wedges for garnish
- 1 tsp Salt, to taste
In a large bowl, combine chicken breast cubes, almond butter, garlic, shallots, coconut aminos, fish sauce, lime juice, red pepper flakes and salt. Stir well. Put into gallon sized freezer bag.
Serving day ingredients
- 2/3 cup raw Macadamia Nuts, chopped, reserve some for garnish
- Cilantro, for garnish
- 2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes, (optional)
- 1 medium Spaghetti Squash (Pick a wider squash over a longer squash)
- 2 shredded Carrots
- 1 chopped Green Onion
- 1/2 thinly sliced Red Pepper
Serving Day Instructions
Thaw the freezer bag in the fridge overnight.
- Process and prep the spaghetti squash:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut 1/2″ off each end of the squash and discard
- Then cut the squash in half across the width (takes a heavy knife).
- Use a sharp knife to cut around the inside of the each half to get out the seeds.
- Rub salt all over the squash and let sit in a baking dish for 15 minutes.
- Then pat the squash dry with a paper towel and wipe off any excess salt.
- Put in the 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. When removed let sit for 10 minutes.
- When cool peel (or cut) off the exterior rind and gently peel noodles off with a fork.
Heat a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. Stir-fry chicken mixture over medium high with a tiny bit of oil to keep it from sticking until cooked through. Add spaghetti squash and toss with mixture for to coat. Cook together just for 2 -3 minutes.
Top with macademia nuts, shredded carrots, green onion, red pepper and cilantro